Thursday, June 18, 2009

Endgame

It's incredible how long a week can seem. It's been just over a week since we've all been back, and the adjustments have come slowly and steadily. Amazing how quickly you become attached to people, and how different it is to not be around them every day like you once were. I miss all of you to death, and I've no idea how long it'll take before I'm used to not waking up and seeing everyone in the morning. I can honestly say India was a life-changing experience. Somewhere in between the screeching streets of Delhi, the serene and abandoned Mughal temples in Agra, and the incredible natural beauty of Rishikesh, you find something in India that stays and comes back home with you. I really felt like we were moving up in levels of consciousness every step of our trip, from the crowded mess of Delhi where it's hard to hear yourself think, to the almost complete quiet of places like Dharamsala. I was surprised to find Delhi was far calmer, far quieter than I remembered when we returned at the end of the trip, but I assume that had more to do with my mindset than Delhi itself. Everyone's demeanor and attitude was entirely different our second round through Delhi, compared to our first. It was amazing seeing that transformation firsthand as we came full-circle. While I'm happy to be home (and around tap water I can drink without panic attacks), I can't help but regret that we didn't have more time in that wonderful country. This is a journey I know I'll take with me for the rest of my life, and has provided me with enough stories to fill an entire book (or two).

No comments:

Post a Comment