Tuesday, May 26, 2009

!?!?! 36 hour Adventure ?!?!

Ok... So I'm about ready to go jump into the Ganges just to get over the past two day trip! Well it started out in Varanasi trying to leave on the train.... our train was to leave at May 24th at 345pm, but due to Varanasi delays it was 11 hours late!! But not all was lost--> We picked up a lonely traveller who was from Canada named Keith who took the extra seat we possessed. He had arrived at the train station hoping to buy a ticket, but for some reason the foreign ticket sales counter was closed... ((and it was still closed when we left)). Therefore, we waited around and at the train station for eleven hours till May 25th 2am for the train to come. Once the train arrived we had a 12 hour trip, or at least we thought it was going to be a 12 hour trip to New Delhi! It turned out our train AGAIN was delayed till 6:30pm arriving! We immediately got onto a AC bus to head to dinner and up north! We were all Famished as all extremes could be! Our blood sugar levels were low and we were all at wits end with each other and probably India itself! I myself am still sick, and I was feeling VERY faint at this moment. Before even reaching the restaurant (Pizza Hut) and before even getting out of the train station our bus had to literally side swipe a billboard sign which at the moment we all thought could have very well fell onto our bus! It was a much needed comic relief as we were all joking about it on the way to Pizza Hut. I think we can all agree that this was one of the BEST meals of our entire time here in India so far... maybe it was the fact that it was comfort food or the fact that any one of us could have agreed that even the food on the street looked appetizing! Well after replenishing our stomachs and me feeling a bit better, we all jumped onto the bus for our 5 hour trip to the North. Again... we presumed it was a 5 hour trip, but as we found out leaving at 9:30pm we arrived at our hotel and it was 5am! So it is now May 26th and I must say this was the worst travelling experience I have had in all of my adventures throughout Asia! Not for the reason I am sick, but for the reason it was so drawn out over a 3 day period and we have had very little rest! So for all of the students on this trip and to all of you reading this at home, please give them a hug and a pat on the back for making this trip! This was a journey in itself and I must say I think even our wonderful professor needs a hug! Today in talking with Professor Maher I found out that our Bus Driver probably had no idea what he was doing.... So I'm glad to know that now since I'm on solid ground and not as we were driving up the Himalayan slopes! LoL But it wouldn't be far to say that a bad journey turns into a good story... Our view here is incredible and it is much cooler than the places we have been, so I'm pretty happy I just now need to get better! Thanks as always-- Kathryn

No comments:

Post a Comment