Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Taj Day

I was going to upload a bunch of photos to flickr, but I left the battery in the hotel across the street and I have this place for an hour. As you've read from the others, it's kinda warm here. It's the kinda day that would shut down Greenville, people would just say, oh heck no I'm not going out in this,...its everyday here. We had breakfast on a rooftop hotel overlooking the Taj Mahal. It is beautiful and big. As the sun rose we watched childrens' kites battle each other with glass-lined strings and ate pancake-wrapped bananas. Today is Taj day. There were alot of visitors there in flowing flowery saris, kids bumbling about, and... it was very overwhelming. I was able to sneak in my little Moleskin and colored pencils and did some colored rubbings from the inlay of precious gems that make up flower patterns all all all all all over this soo white of a building...I wish I had bigger paper and a plan. We sat in the shade of the Mosque (not in use) building and just gazed at the thing for a while. It's so bright its hard to look at. After Taj, Sarah and I ate pizza (so good), Raita (a cool onioney dish), with naan. We then rode with Vickey on the back of his scooter to a place that sells head scarves for men. These things are very handy here and I wish I could get away with wearing in the states. I'll try to find more. Mine was 44 Rupees. Dirt cheap. Tonight we are spending the night on a train. I think I can't tell you where for security reasons. I'm sorry I don't have a photo to upload. I'll try later.

2 comments:

  1. Taj Mahal.....words escape me as I bask in the thoughts of being there. :] Looking forward to seeing the cousin to the sleeve! Have a safe train ride

    ReplyDelete
  2. Got your e-mail. Glad to know you're taking some security precautions. God be with you!

    ReplyDelete