Thursday, May 28, 2009

The Happy Hrishikesh Song

It's very hard to top class four rapids and cliff jumping in the Ganges; however, exploring the city of Rishikesh certainly has its own appeal. This afternoon we set out to see the temples and ashrams that comprise the landscape of this holy city. One particularly interesting temple, the Trayambakeshwar Temple, stands 13 stories tall at one end of the Lakshman Jhula bridge. If only this computer had a built in memory card reader I could share my own pictures of the amazing sight. But alas, everyone will have to settle for a picture taken by a professional photographer (thank you google image search). Unfortunately we did not make our way to the famous "Beatles" ashram, where 'The Happy Hrishikesh Song' was written by John Lennon. Next time.
It's a shame our time in Rishikesh is coming to an end. The cool weather and friendly, accomodating atmosphere will surely be missed. This is certainly one place I will be coming back to the next time I'm in India (hopefully soon).

2 comments:

  1. Hello Hersh,

    Glad to read your append. Have you guys had a chance to visit Haridwar? If not, you may want to attend an evening aarti at "Hari-ki-paidi" ghat at Ganges bank. It's an incredible experience. If you have some spare time (~ half a day) in Delhi, you may want to visit "Akshardham". It's awesome. Let me know if you have time in Delhi. I can arrange a guided tour for you guys for Akshardham.

    Love,

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hersh,
    You must be feeling like you are in an oven. Although in the future I would like to go there too. Where else are you going? I bet on the the trains it smells really really bad(if you know what I mean). See you when you come back to NC. JANKI P

    ReplyDelete