Friday, May 22, 2009

India = Amazing

Namaste from India!! ( it means hello in Varanasi where I am right now, but please to meet you in Agra, weird) India is...AMAZING! Amazingly beautiful, interesting, HOT and dirty all wrapped in one. When we first got to Delhi I didn't know what to expect. There were cows/bulls everywhere and the roads consist of a dirt path. Everyone has their family owned shop along the streets where they immediately bombard you for your business when you walk by. I am learning a lot about their culture and religious practices as well. The Taj Mahal was breath-taking. The structure is so massive with such intricate detail. OH! there are these things which take place as our taxis called Rickshaws. They are such an interesting ride. They go so fast and I find myself holding on for dear life praying I will make it to my destination alive. I have met so many Indian people so far. They are all so friendly and helpful, but you have to be cautious about them so they won't take advantage of you, for your money that is. We are in Varanasi right now and it is HOT! It only gets up to be 106 which is good compared to Agra and Delhi. The norm temperature in those cities is 115. Varanasi is cooler because it is on the river. Our hotel overlooks the Ganges River and we took a boat ride yesterday at dawn to watch the sunrise. We saw people doing Yoga on the river side and people washing their clothes and bathing as well. They bath in the Ganges to wash away their sins and they consider it their holy water. We also came up close and personal to the cremation ghat where over 200 people are cremated a day. We saw a cremation ceremony in progress which was, interesting to say the least. Oh yea, and I got blessed by a Brahman! No bad karma for me! It is amazing to see there lifestyle because it is a drastic difference from the one we have become accustomed to. I know I will experience so many more memorable moments in the cities to come.

2 comments:

  1. Namaste Rebecca,
    It is wonderful to hear from you and it sounds like you are having a fantastic time in India. I think this trip will impact your whole life; you will carry these adventures and the knowledge you gain with you and they will enhance all your future experiences. Be safe and continue to try to remember all you see! We miss you and love you. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. BECCA!

    Ditto what your parents say. PS I'm glad you finally posted. I've been reading the posts from Mac, and Blair, and blah blah waiting for REBECCA! lol Glad youre having a good time.

    Love and miss you toO!

    ReplyDelete